Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
In the broad sense.
- ‘Thus, Callianassa sensu lato are not helpful in making environmental determinations.’
- ‘What has been at issue is the place that the group occupies within the Arthropoda, sensu lato.’
- ‘I am aware that there are over 600 species of Eucalyptus sensu lato and that they do not all show the same response to fire, and I acknowledge that I did not witness the destruction of the Weston Creek laboratory.’
- ‘Botanical source appears to be Cupressaceae sensu lato, also based on amber chemistry and direct association with wood and cone scales.’
- ‘Notable omissions include microsporidia and long-branching fungi, leaving chytrids to represent fungi sensu lato.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.