Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A time or stage in a person's development when they are more responsive to certain stimuli and quicker to learn particular skills.
- ‘This is necessary to allow appropriate therapy to be started within the sensitive period of visual development for optimal results.’
- ‘Also, some comments about developmental forces such as sensitive periods and even behavior genetics would be helpful.’
- ‘Estrogens can be naturally elevated in plasma when songs are being learned; androgens can be elevated when the sensitive period for song learning closes.’
- ‘That's probably because bitterness is often a sign of toxicity, and it's especially important to avoid toxic compounds during these sensitive periods of growth and development.’
- ‘Male-male interactions were readily triggered by a LED flash in the early sensitive period, or at any time if the insect was not spontaneously flashing during the normal period of patrol behavior.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.