Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An organ of the body which responds to external stimuli by conveying impulses to the sensory nervous system.
- ‘Each sense organ has specialized receptor cells to detect the appropriate type of physical energy or stimulation.’
- ‘The eye is a sense organ and we make no effort to see when the eye functions normally.’
- ‘Sensory nerves carry messages from the sense organs (eyes, ears, nose, tongue, and skin) to the brain for processing.’
- ‘In humans the sense organ that provides us with the taste sensation is the tongue, or more specifically the taste buds on the tongue.’
- ‘The ear is the most important sense organ for modern toothed whales, say scientists, because these whales locate their prey using echolocation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.