One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A title or form of address used of or to a Spanish-speaking unmarried woman, corresponding to Miss.
young woman, young lady, missView synonyms
- ‘My señorita had gone for arepa, a traditional Venezuelan maize cake served with cheese and salad, and I had chilli mushrooms.’
- ‘The boys are dressed like dusty caballeros and the gals are decked out like the pretty señoritas on old Havana cigar boxes.’
- ‘You have a beautiful smile my little señorita!’
- ‘In this showcase of the well known (but little understood) Latin dance form, we learn that flamenco is not just about castanets, señoritas in frilly gowns and fancy footwork.’
- ‘Goya does it with contrapposto, his señorita swivelling in her black lace mantilla, hand to waist, her eye caught by something outside the painting.’
Spanish, diminutive of Señora.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.