Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A room used for social purposes by fellows, lecturers, and other senior members of a college.
university teacher, lecturer, university lecturer, fellow, professor, reader, lector, college tutor, academic, scholarView synonyms
- ‘You're supposed to sit around in the coffee shop or the senior common room, arguing long into the night about the significance of these devices.’
- ‘We also had a sneaking admiration for him because he used to have lunch in the student canteen rather than go upstairs to the senior common room where all the other teachers went.’
- ‘Some time in my first year on the LSE staff, I ran into Harry in the senior common room and he reminded me of the point I had made to him about Viner's trade diversion when we had first met.’
- ‘Tripping over a rug in the Christ's College senior common room, I rose to find myself face to face with Harold Macmillan's whiskers.’
- ‘After the dining hall, high table moved to the senior common room upstairs.’
- 1.1treated as singular or plural The senior members of a college regarded collectively.‘his involvement with Darwin and other staff in the senior common room’
- ‘Students and members of the senior common room get a discount so wouldn't have paid £3.65 for a main course.’
- ‘Legend has it that he once decked an obnoxious colleague in the senior common room (something that many academics dream of, but usually don't have the nerve actually to do).’
- ‘Teeth gnashed in senior common rooms: could the university not support one expert in Sogdian?’
- ‘That could prove interesting in the senior common rooms.’
- ‘And then Anne Sayre in, I think, her American way misinterpreted the fact that women weren't allowed in the senior common room at Kings.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.