Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rank in the US navy, above chief petty officer and below master chief petty officer.
- ‘My mission after the landing was to become the senior enlisted person, senior chief petty officer, and we went into the ground phase at that.’
- ‘After 20 years in Navy law enforcement, he retired as a senior chief petty officer and moved to Angeles 12 years ago.’
- ‘O'Neal, 44, was a senior chief petty officer and medical corpsman with the Coast Guard's Port Security Unit 305, a team of boat drivers who secure ports and waterways at home and around the world.’
- ‘In session for nearly four weeks, the 75 enlisted and 13 officer board members reviewed the records of 14,223 eligible candidates; 1,850 Sailors were ultimately selected for promotion to senior chief petty officer.’
- ‘He had been a senior chief petty officer when he was drummed out of the service for improper use of Navy resources.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.