Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] The condition or process of deterioration with age.
elderliness, old age, oldness, seniority, maturity, dotage, senilityView synonyms
- ‘Oxidative processes during senescence involve an increase in enzyme activities generating oxygen radicals and superoxide ions.’
- ‘But most healthy mammalian cells managed just a few dozen divisions before they stopped, a process known as replicative senescence.’
- ‘Although it is characterized as being a deterioration process, senescence is considered to be a highly evolved genetic process.’
- ‘The degradation of proteins and the remobilization of amino acids to developing tissues is a prominent process during senescence.’
- ‘A pretreatment of cold-induction temperatures had little effect on the course of tissue senescence under these conditions.’
- 1.1Loss of a cell's power of division and growth.
- ‘We have devised a functional approach to clone genes involved in the regulation of cell growth and senescence.’
- ‘The terms senescence and programmed cell death have led to some confusion.’
- ‘Behind this zone of environmental invasion is a wave of cell senescence, death and necrotrophic disappearance.’
- ‘Mortality barriers to human cell immortalization and effectors of replicative cellular senescence in human cells’
- ‘Additional carbon would also be released into the rhizosphere with border cell senescence and death.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.