One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a living organism) deteriorate with age.‘it is a universal characteristic of higher animals that they senesce’
- ‘In several populations, the pitchers of some plants had senesced.’
- ‘Fruits were counted when the plants had fully senesced.’
- ‘After the plants had senesced, ears were harvested and the lengths measured.’
- ‘Evolutionary senescence theory argues that organisms senesce because the power of natural selection decreases with age.’
- ‘Regardless of cold-induction treatment, leaves and plants of non-transformed plants senesced under prolonged dark storage.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin senescere, from senex ‘old’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.