One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for semiotics
- ‘I propose to write an essay that examines the application of three strains of French social thought - structural Marxism, semiology, and postmodernism - to analyzing the mass media.’
- ‘He helped found the modern science of semiology, applying structuralism to the ‘myths’ he saw all around him: media, fashion, art, photography, architecture, and especially literature.’
- ‘Thus if semiology comes from linguistics, things become relatively simple.’
- ‘Interpreting images is a domain of semiology, the general science of signs.’
- ‘Deciding what I should say in my last 500 words ever in this space proved to be more daunting than writing a 10-page English paper on semiology.’
1920s: from Greek sēmeion ‘sign’ (from sēma ‘mark’) + -logy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.