One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a North American people of the Creek confederacy, noted for resistance in the 19th century to encroachment on their land in Georgia and Florida. Many were resettled in Oklahoma.
- ‘U.S. slaveholders, Creek Indians, Seminoles, and the blacks themselves harried each other over slave property.’
- ‘In the Seminole Wars, blacks fought on both sides, with the U.S. government and others as members of the Seminoles.’
- ‘The Seminoles were a loose association of disparate bands, including Creek from Georgia, local Apalachee, and runaway black slaves.’
- ‘After the defeat of the Cherokees, the Seminoles decided to fight for their land, and succeeded in maintaining it.’
- ‘The fact that they were very mild-mannered, and not cannibalistic, favours the opinion that they were kin to the Seminoles of Florida.’
2mass noun The Muskogean language of the Seminoles, now with fewer than 10,000 speakers.
- ‘Before that all Floridians spoke Seminole and Cherokee or whatever.’
- ‘The storekeeper, a pleasant young woman, was deep in conversation with an older gentleman. They spoke Seminole, sprinkled with American brand names.’
Relating to the Seminoles or their language.
- ‘The war began when some Seminole Indians refused to leave Florida, defying the Removal Act.’
- ‘Well, as some folks on Sixth Street will tell you, that's like slapping a Gator bumper sticker on your car in Tallahassee or hanging a Seminole flag on your front porch in Gainesville.’
- ‘Thus the tradition of the Seminole tribe was honored.’
- ‘Perhaps it was during my childhood growing up in southern Florida near the Everglades, and trekking through the rainforests and swamps with my Seminole Indian and African-American friends.’
- ‘But another line of evidence can be brought to bear on the question of Seminole origins: bioarchaeology, the study of human remains excavated from cemeteries and other archaeological sites.’
Via Creek from American Spanish cimarrón ‘wild, untamed’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.