One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a North American people of the Creek confederacy, noted for resistance in the 19th century to encroachment on their land in Georgia and Florida. Many were resettled in Oklahoma.
- ‘The Seminoles were a loose association of disparate bands, including Creek from Georgia, local Apalachee, and runaway black slaves.’
- ‘After the defeat of the Cherokees, the Seminoles decided to fight for their land, and succeeded in maintaining it.’
- ‘The fact that they were very mild-mannered, and not cannibalistic, favours the opinion that they were kin to the Seminoles of Florida.’
- ‘U.S. slaveholders, Creek Indians, Seminoles, and the blacks themselves harried each other over slave property.’
- ‘In the Seminole Wars, blacks fought on both sides, with the U.S. government and others as members of the Seminoles.’
2mass noun The Muskogean language of the Seminoles, now with fewer than 10,000 speakers.
- ‘The storekeeper, a pleasant young woman, was deep in conversation with an older gentleman. They spoke Seminole, sprinkled with American brand names.’
- ‘Before that all Floridians spoke Seminole and Cherokee or whatever.’
Relating to the Seminoles or their language.
- ‘But another line of evidence can be brought to bear on the question of Seminole origins: bioarchaeology, the study of human remains excavated from cemeteries and other archaeological sites.’
- ‘Perhaps it was during my childhood growing up in southern Florida near the Everglades, and trekking through the rainforests and swamps with my Seminole Indian and African-American friends.’
- ‘The war began when some Seminole Indians refused to leave Florida, defying the Removal Act.’
- ‘Thus the tradition of the Seminole tribe was honored.’
- ‘Well, as some folks on Sixth Street will tell you, that's like slapping a Gator bumper sticker on your car in Tallahassee or hanging a Seminole flag on your front porch in Gainesville.’
Via Creek from American Spanish cimarrón ‘wild, untamed’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.