One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A training college for priests or rabbis.
theological college, rabbinical college, talmudical college, academy, training college, training institute, school, high school, conservatoryView synonyms
- ‘But as a student in seminary, I was challenged to believe that God also redeems and restores all of the cosmos, just as God has redeemed you and me.’
- ‘Involvement in campus ministries was often the next step, typically at a denominational or private liberal arts college that sent substantial numbers of students on to seminary.’
- ‘These books may be more attractive for use with college students than in seminary classes.’
- ‘For some time after its foundation, Manly was the only seminary in Australia preparing students for the secular priesthood.’
- ‘I am very grateful for the many times not only seminary colleagues but also seminary students have ministered to me in times of terror or grief.’
- ‘Education in this study is defined as whether or not a minister has received an advanced level of college and seminary training.’
- ‘These tended to be younger people, such as Bible college or seminary students.’
- ‘Who can appreciate better than seminary students the incomprehensibility of God?’
- ‘In those days, there were few women clergy, very few women seminary professors, and not many women seminary students.’
- ‘The result is a fine introduction, useful for advanced lay groups, college students, and introductory seminary courses.’
- ‘Ask any Bible college or seminary how many of their students are from the UK.’
- ‘This will be especially true of clergy and seminary students, particularly those in my care.’
- ‘Students often came to seminary because their church and community had decided that was to be their vocation.’
- ‘We might risk preaching on the streets like seminary students in downtown Atlanta.’
- ‘The balance of clarity and detail makes this commentary useful for students of Paul in seminary and college courses.’
- ‘When I was a student in seminary I had as an assignment to write a paper on Calvinism and Birth Control.’
- ‘College and seminary students studying American religion will undoubtedly find this anthology on their required reading lists.’
- ‘If seminaries are preparing students for professional ministry, this should be the focus of classes - not how-to-study sessions.’
- ‘If many current students come to seminary without fixed notions of biblical authority, how can a prime teaching goal continue to be disabusing students of rigidity?’
- ‘His book should be widely read by pastors, seminary students, and members of adult education classes in local congregations.’
Late Middle English (denoting a seed plot): from Latin seminarium ‘seed plot’, neuter of seminarius ‘of seed’, from semen ‘seed’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.