One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a substance) made by synthesis from a naturally occurring material.‘a wide range of semi-synthetic penicillins’
- ‘Diamorphine is a semi-synthetic derivative of morphine with similar pharmacological properties but with greater potency.’
- ‘This is a semi-synthetic substance used as a thickening substance and to encourage lather.’
- ‘Pyrethroids for example may be quite soft on mammals and birds but this particular group of semi-synthetic pesticides is extremely toxic to insects, fish and amphibians.’
- ‘Added to promote lathering, this semi-synthetic agent is also irritating to skin and responsible for allergic reactions.’
- ‘The Germans have begun work on semi-synthetic analogs to certain ferulic-acid skeletal-remnant panaxosides, in a mutual agreement with an unnamed Japanese pharmaceutical manufacturer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.