One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of milk) having had some of the cream removed.
- ‘You get this pot of Kelloggs Crunchy Nut Flakes with a little matching pot of semi-skimmed milk, and this insane folded-up plastic spoon.’
- ‘His porridge - made with medium oatmeal, not porridge oats - was cooked with half water, half semi-skimmed milk and a judicious dose of salt, his preference being sea-salt crystals.’
- ‘It has less fat than semi-skimmed milk but tastes the same.’
- ‘Men may be doing certain things, such as drinking semi-skimmed milk, and there is some indication that fruit consumption is increasing, but that is only a small part of their diet.’
- ‘Within a few minutes, a police car turned up with the officer and two pints of semi-skimmed milk.’
- ‘Alternative healthy choices are water and semi-skimmed milk.’
- ‘Choosing healthier options shouldn't be expensive or hard to find - with breads, fruit and semi-skimmed milk all counting as good snack choices.’
- ‘I favour brown bread over white, and semi-skimmed milk over full fat.’
- ‘I bought a pint of semi-skimmed milk in the canteen this lunchtime.’
- ‘It comes in two main varieties; a whole-milk semi-soft cheese, and a cheese for grating which is made with skimmed or semi-skimmed milk.’
- ‘You can now start to give your baby full-fat cows' milk as the main drink (not semi-skimmed or skimmed milk).’
- ‘The FSA has advised consumers to drink semi-skimmed or skimmed milk.’
- ‘‘We use two-thirds water, one-third semi-skimmed milk and cook for 40 minutes on a slow heat,’ says Stone.’
- ‘Teagasc expertise was also used by PG Tips, a division of Unilever plc, to develop a unique process for the production of tea with semi-skimmed milk for the vending machine market.’
- ‘As man and boy my breakfast has consisted of one Weetabix with a covering of Kellogg's Cornflakes with unrefined dark Cane sugar served in a hemispherical bowl with semi-skimmed milk and a heavy ‘Old English’ pattern spoon.’
- ‘Progress for Scotland's health means five pieces of fresh fruit a day, semi-skimmed milk, less frying and taking the binge out of the nation's drink habit.’
- ‘He may not have seen me watching him, but through some judicious neck-craning I watched the waiter prepare a truly disgusting brew that wasn't helped by the addition of semi-skimmed milk.’
- ‘Children under five are able to receive whole or semi-skimmed milk free of charge each day under the Nursery Milk Scheme provided they attend approved day care facilities.’
- ‘Cutting the fat off meat and eating lower-fat versions of dairy foods - semi-skimmed milk, yoghurt instead of cream, etc - can help to achieve this.’
- ‘However, reflecting trends in Europe, sales of semi-skimmed milk boomed in Japan during the review period to represent 12 percent of sales by 1998.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.