1Stiff and solid, but not inflexible.‘a semi-rigid polyethylene hose’
- ‘Design and supervision of flexible and semi-rigid pavements adjusted to traffic forecast is a key issue in road construction.’
- ‘Rigid, semi-rigid and flexible shoe inserts all can be used.’
- ‘Separations along the top and bottom of coarse aggregate particles were a result of their slight movement in semi-rigid paste during application of the dry shake.’
- ‘For the museum project, Mulder shot-blasted the floor with an 80-grit profile, filled the control joints with a semi-rigid epoxy, and applied a 100% solids epoxy primer.’
- ‘The different types of connections that are commonly used fill the entire flexibility spectrum from flexible ‘hinge like’ connections to semi-rigid connections to rigid connections.’
- 1.1 (of an airship) having a stiffened keel attached to a flexible gas container.
- ‘What is needed therefore is a structurally light and aerodynamic airship. All these characteristics are combined in a semi-rigid airship.’
- ‘The main types of airship are non-rigid (or blimps), semi-rigid and rigid.’
- 1.2 (of an inflatable boat) having a rigid hull and inflatable sponsons.
- ‘The rescuers on the Alice Royston - Geoff McGregor, Ian Reid and Robbie Robinson - had been out at sea for eight hours in their seven metre semi-rigid open craft before finding the Siesta.’
- ‘He said the donations would go towards purchase of a new inflatable semi-rigid craft.’
- ‘The emergency occurred just before teatime when the semi-rigid inflatable capsized.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.