Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not fully clear or transparent.
- ‘Yellow sunlight shines through the semi-opaque white plastic tank, and the lethal fluid within glows mysteriously.’
- ‘In 1983 stay-up's appeared in beautiful designs: matt, opaque, shimmering, transparent, semi-opaque, fine-meshed, woolen and silken.’
- ‘For more UV protection, consider buying semi-opaque or solid color stains.’
- ‘Other common stones are carnelians, which are a semi-opaque reddish orange, and turquoise from Iraq, which is sky blue.’
- ‘All the colour and scent of the flowers is lost behind a rustling, flapping, sheath of cheap semi-opaque cellophane wrapping.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.