One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The male reproductive fluid, containing spermatozoa in suspension.
sperm, spermatic fluid, seminal fluid, seed, milt, ejaculate, emissionView synonyms
- ‘HIV in semen may enter the body through tissue in the tonsils and throat and through breaks in the gums.’
- ‘The test, which requires a drop of semen, can determine whether a man's sperm count is within normal limits.’
- ‘The garment was taped for fibres and hairs and screened for body fluids, such as blood, semen and saliva.’
- ‘The semen of the father, the blood of the mother, and the past deeds of the individual determine the bodily features of the child.’
- ‘This is when a man experiences the feeling of climax but no semen comes out.’
- ‘Other symptoms include painful ejaculation, blood in the urine or semen and pain in the lower back, hips or thighs.’
- ‘After a few days, the body has natural ways of releasing the extra semen and sperm.’
- ‘Surgical sperm collection may be suitable for men who have no sperm at all in their semen.’
- ‘Fears of poor quality of sperm in Scotland and a shortage of sperm donors prompted a Glasgow clinic to import semen from Denmark.’
- ‘So, that means I get to mix up a tasty brew of blood, semen, and the Colonel's own blend of 11 herbs and spices.’
- ‘The prostate is a male sex gland that produces a fluid that forms part of the semen.’
- ‘The prostate produces a thick, white fluid called semen that mixes with the sperm when it is ejaculated in male orgasm.’
- ‘Sensation, the orgasm and the volume of semen ejaculated are entirely unaffected.’
- ‘It surrounds the urethra, the tube which carries urine, and secretes fluid carried in semen which nourishes sperm.’
- ‘However, you will not know whether you are producing sperm when you ejaculate until your doctor has checked a sample of semen.’
- ‘Samples can be gathered from blood, skin, saliva, hair, body tissue, bone or semen.’
- ‘However, when the condition is caused by factors such as prostate surgery, the quantity of semen cannot be increased.’
- ‘The proportions of X and Y chromosome bearing sperms in human semen are equal, but more boys than girls are born.’
- ‘But the jury heard he was linked to that attack through DNA evidence extracted from semen and saliva.’
- ‘Albrecht said police believe it was goat semen, but Swine Genetics only deals in pig semen.’
Late Middle English: from Latin, literally ‘seed’, from serere ‘to sow’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.