One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A horse race after which the winning horse must be auctioned.
- ‘Back in 1850 JJ Turner had advertised his willingness to attend country meetings, specifically to conduct auctions of winners of selling races.’
- ‘There is no big-money prize at the end of it, only a minor selling race confined to juvenile fillies.’
- ‘It came recently in a selling race at Ayr, one of the courses still using the old stalls, when hot favourite Locombe Hill was involved in a dreadful incident at the start.’
- ‘Having got off the mark at Redcar, Windchill followed up in a valuable selling race at Newcastle.’
- ‘That was only a selling race, but Cast Iron left the impression that he was capable of something a little bit better.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.