One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Part with a valuable resource for immediate advantage.‘the suggestion that privatization is selling off the family silver’
- ‘There you go, selling off the family silver to meet current expenditure.’
- ‘While it will be running hard to keep up with its younger peers in the telecoms sector, it won't be selling the family silver to do so.’
- ‘There is no prospect of the trust selling off the family silver.’
- ‘When the sale was announced it was seen as one of the most important strategic decisions in the group's history, likened to selling the family silver.’
- ‘But at a time when business values are falling, stakeholders tend not to take kindly to selling the family silver at a knock-down price.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.