One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Concern more with the needs and wishes of others than with one's own.‘a noble act of selflessness’‘the selflessness and courage of officers killed in the line of duty’
- ‘Viewed collectively, all these imprecise images speak expressively of his key virtue—his remarkable selflessness.’
- ‘He turns virtues on their head—neither honesty nor selflessness is to be sought.’
- ‘Between men, the deep sense of friendship rests on selflessness.’
- ‘Once he realizes the joy of selflessness, he will achieve greatness.’
- ‘They can be called a proud generation known for their hard work and selflessness.’
- ‘Pat yourself on the back for your selflessness.’
- ‘She reaches a humane sense of selflessness by taking care of his mother.’
- ‘The core premise is that selflessness outweighs selfishness—that is, Rick does not use the letters of transit for himself.’
- ‘I have witnessed touching acts of generosity and selflessness.’
- ‘Even if you do not agree with the situation or our leadership decisions, support the sheer selflessness of your soldier.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.