Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The quality or state of being selfish; lack of consideration for other people:‘an act of pure selfishness’
egocentrism, egotism, egomania, introversion, self-seeking, self-serving, self-obsession, self-absorption, self-regard, self-interest, self-lovelack of consideration, inconsiderateness, thoughtlessness, unthinkingness, heedlessness, regardlessness, insensitivity, insensitiveness, tactlessness, uncharitableness, unkindnessmeanness, miserliness, greed, acquisitiveness, opportunismlooking after number oneView synonyms
- ‘His examples from the past reveal that greed, hubris and selfishness often impeded recognition of a problem until it was too late.’
- ‘It is based upon greed and selfishness and the only god is profit, regardless.’
- ‘In an era dominated by greed and selfishness, they acted with phenomenal selflessness.’
- ‘As a manifestation of petty selfishness and greed such meanness is hard to credit.’
- ‘I thought being human was all about goodness and sharing, not about greed and selfishness.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.