One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Sealing itself without the usual process or procedure.
- ‘His cards are self-sealing and don't require an envelope, and his boxes are already decorated, so no wrapping paper is required.’
- 1.1 (of a pneumatic tyre, fuel tank, etc.) able to seal small punctures automatically.
- ‘All self-sealing fuel tanks and hoses were removed.’
- ‘The helicopter is fitted with self-sealing fuel tanks.’
- ‘The self-sealing fuel tanks are mounted in external fairings on the sides of the fuselage.’
- ‘It had self-sealing fuel tanks in wings and fuselage, a fire-extinguishing system and a body able to take heavy punishment.’
- ‘It was definitely a combat aircraft possessing self-sealing fuel tanks, crew armor and a ‘bullet retardant’ windscreen.’
- ‘More weapons were to be added along with armor protection and self-sealing fuel tanks.’
- ‘The fuel system is rated to withstand a 14m crash and the fuel tanks are self-sealing.’
- ‘They got the airplanes in flying condition, or at least good enough to fly the short distance to Agra, the depot where the self-sealing fuel tanks could be repaired.’
- ‘The internal tanks are self-sealing rubber bag tanks in the fuselage and two integral wing tanks.’
- ‘Six flexible fuel tanks with a capacity of 2,020 litres are self-sealing in the event of leakage following a crash or being pierced by projectiles.’
- ‘The fuel tanks are self-sealing, with a fuel crossfeed system that provides continuity of supply if one of the fuel circuits fails.’
- ‘This tank was self-sealing, meaning that the tank was built out of a rubberized substance that would allow a bullet to pass through without sparking and then close the entry and exit holes to prevent spillage.’
- ‘The fuel system is crash-resistant and self-sealing.’
- ‘The ability to absorb damage of the all-metal airframe combined with armor and self-sealing fuel tanks was greatly underestimated by nearly everyone.’
- ‘Three standard self-sealing fuel tanks provide a fuel capacity of 3,222 litres.’
- ‘With self-sealing fuel bladders and a little bit of armor, helicopters are highly resistant to small-caliber weapons.’
- ‘The self-sealing plastic fuel tank has a capacity of 540 litres.’
- ‘Considerable armor, self-sealing fuel tanks and other combat updates were added.’
- ‘The self-sealing fuel tanks were my idea, but it was Fiona who got the fuel mix just right and we did our first test run with only minor problems and first-degree burns.’
- ‘The crash-resistant tanks are self-sealing and fitted with self-sealing lines and a digital fuel feed controller.’
- 1.2 (of an envelope) self-adhesive.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.