One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Reliant on one's own powers and resources rather than those of others.‘a self-reliant little girl’
self-sufficient, self-supporting, self-sustaining, self-standing, able to stand on one's own two feet, living on one's humpView synonyms
- ‘It's wonderful to be independent and self-reliant.’
- ‘The natural hazards are too numerous and the climate too determinedly extreme to tolerate inhabitation by anybody but the most intrepid and self-reliant.’
- ‘New Zealanders tend to be resourceful, self-reliant people.’
- ‘Indeed, learning a martial art makes one self-reliant and disciplined, and also greatly boosts one's confidence.’
- ‘He appears self-reliant and confident with some maturity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.