One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having an exaggerated sense of one's own value or importance.‘a self-important bureaucrat’
conceited, arrogant, bumptious, self-assertive, full of oneself, puffed up, swollen-headed, pompous, overbearing, opinionated, self-opinionated, cocky, swaggering, strutting, presumptuous, forward, imperious, domineering, magisterial, pontifical, sententious, grandiose, vain, haughty, overweening, proud, egotistic, egotisticalView synonyms
- ‘It was funny that two former fashion victims now find their former world overbearing and self-important.’
- ‘He's only 15, but thinks like his dad, a pompous self-important academic.’
- ‘The sobriety of the streets is relieved by bridges with self-important towers or slightly pompous lions and griffins with gilded wings.’
- ‘As if concerned that his rants may appear too smug or self-important, he tempers them with spoonfuls of self-loathing.’
- ‘His sense of humour, always in evidence, made it impossible for him to seem pompous or self-important, and he never attempted to disguise his own fallibility as a human being.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.