One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The fertilization of plants and some invertebrate animals by their own pollen or sperm rather than that of another individual.
- ‘Because self-incompatibility operates after pollination, it reduces geitonogamous self-fertilization but not geitonogamous pollination.’
- ‘Consequently, the genetic structure of this species is likely to be shaped by rare outcrossing events among colonists, followed by generations of self-fertilization to produce recombinant inbred lineages.’
- ‘If so, is it autogamous (capable of self-fertilization in the absence of pollinators)?’
- ‘Together, the three modes of geitonogamy make a much larger contribution to self-fertilization than autogamy.’
- ‘Gametophytic self-incompatibility is a widespread mechanism in flowering plants that prevents self-fertilization and promotes out-crossing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.