One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Perhaps the mutation that results in self-fertility arrived as a seed dispersed into the eastern half of the population, and not enough time has passed for it to spread or be lost.’
- ‘Despite the costs of inbreeding depression, self-fertility has evolved repeatedly in diverse taxa of flowering plants.’
- ‘Plants also show great ranges in self-fertility from obligate outcrossing to complete selfing to apomixis (uniparental).’
- ‘Several recent studies have found substantial variation in self-fertility among individuals, populations, and cultivars of certain plant species.’
- ‘Apart from inbreeding depression, several ecological and environmental factors, e.g. pollen limitation and lower resource costs of selfing, may cause variation in the amount of self-fertility.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.