One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a hired vehicle) driven by the person who hires the vehicle, rather than a professional driver.‘a self-drive removal van’
- ‘By 1930 it had expanded into car hire - either self-drive or driven.’
- ‘This means that, despite a huge tourist industry, India has almost no facilities for self-drive car hire.’
- ‘If the idea of piloting your own self-drive car is irresistible, there are a few tips.’
- ‘Paying double for two men and a large van, rather than hiring a small self-drive van, meant the difference between three hours of efficiency and a whole day of agony.’
- ‘A self-drive vehicle gives you the chance to explore forests, obscure coasts and city suburbs.’
- ‘Some categories of boats are full, such as yachts, sailing dinghies and self-drive motor boats.’
- ‘If chauffeur-driven cars were the norm earlier, now car-rental firms are offering clients an option to self-drive an array of Indian and foreign vehicles.’
- ‘The application as approved will introduce more self-drive hire boats on to the river for use by inexperienced, casual tourists.’
- ‘He is trundling around the nation's roads in one of his two self-drive ministerial cars.’
- ‘Packages include return flights, self-drive car hire, and accommodation on a B & B basis but the company can also help you create your own itinerary.’
2(of a holiday) involving use of one's own car rather than transport arranged by the operator.
- ‘Of course, none of them can compare with the rock-bottom price of the cheapest self-drive, self-catering Alpine holidays, but that's not really the point.’
- ‘The first half of this trip includes a two-week self-drive tour, giving them the freedom of their own transport and a suggested route to follow.’
- ‘Specialist company Steppes Latin America has a range of self-drive holidays that allow you to custom-build your itinerary.’
- ‘If you prefer to go by car, self-drive holidays are available on Fjord line from Newcastle to Bergen, at an extra £142.’
- ‘His professional holiday and incentive company specialises in arranging personalised self-drive and small group golf and wine tours of the peninsula and golf getaways to many other prime destinations in Australia.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.