One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a hired vehicle) driven by the person who hires the vehicle, rather than a professional driver.‘a self-drive removal van’
- ‘If the idea of piloting your own self-drive car is irresistible, there are a few tips.’
- ‘By 1930 it had expanded into car hire - either self-drive or driven.’
- ‘Packages include return flights, self-drive car hire, and accommodation on a B & B basis but the company can also help you create your own itinerary.’
- ‘This means that, despite a huge tourist industry, India has almost no facilities for self-drive car hire.’
- ‘A self-drive vehicle gives you the chance to explore forests, obscure coasts and city suburbs.’
- ‘He is trundling around the nation's roads in one of his two self-drive ministerial cars.’
- ‘The application as approved will introduce more self-drive hire boats on to the river for use by inexperienced, casual tourists.’
- ‘Some categories of boats are full, such as yachts, sailing dinghies and self-drive motor boats.’
- ‘Paying double for two men and a large van, rather than hiring a small self-drive van, meant the difference between three hours of efficiency and a whole day of agony.’
- ‘If chauffeur-driven cars were the norm earlier, now car-rental firms are offering clients an option to self-drive an array of Indian and foreign vehicles.’
2(of a holiday) involving use of one's own car rather than transport arranged by the operator.
- ‘Of course, none of them can compare with the rock-bottom price of the cheapest self-drive, self-catering Alpine holidays, but that's not really the point.’
- ‘Specialist company Steppes Latin America has a range of self-drive holidays that allow you to custom-build your itinerary.’
- ‘If you prefer to go by car, self-drive holidays are available on Fjord line from Newcastle to Bergen, at an extra £142.’
- ‘His professional holiday and incentive company specialises in arranging personalised self-drive and small group golf and wine tours of the peninsula and golf getaways to many other prime destinations in Australia.’
- ‘The first half of this trip includes a two-week self-drive tour, giving them the freedom of their own transport and a suggested route to follow.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.