One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Acting freely and independently.‘encouraging students to be self-directing’
independent, self-governing, self-governed, self-ruling, self-legislating, self-determining, non-aligned, sovereign, autonomous, autarkic, democratic, emancipated, enfranchisedView synonyms
- ‘Kant, as we noticed earlier on, had stressed the freedom and independence of the moral consciousness, the individual being subject to requirements that derived from his nature as an autonomous, self-directing being.’
- ‘The process of expansion was organic and self-directing.’
- ‘The National Curriculum has to be taught in a certain way, with pupils being self-directing and working in groups.’
- ‘The fragile Enlightenment ideal of personal autonomy is that a person should be a conscious, free, self-directing individual.’
- ‘Overall, the book can serve as a self-directing guide for both high-school students and teachers seeking to reorient themselves to the challenge of engaging in artistic activity.’
- ‘The school relies heavily on interview to choose girls who will thrive in the busy, self-directing atmosphere and be suited to boarding.’
- ‘Glick and Levy contrasted these working-class viewers to the upper middle class who were more active and self-directing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.