One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Modesty about or criticism of oneself.‘an artist with a penchant for wry self-deprecation’
- ‘My self-deprecation was met with the expected false dissent.’
- ‘Despite the occasional jab at reigniting the battle of the sexes, the unspoken theme of the evening seemed to be cheerful self-deprecation.’
- ‘The most important weapon in the arsenal of the satirist is a rifle made entirely of self-deprecation.’
- ‘His eye for detail, his re-creation of dialogue, his ironic tone, his self-deprecation, all serve a memoirist well.’
- ‘I think this is a person to whom self-deprecation does not come easily.’
- ‘Neither my wife nor I are into self-deprecation or make any lame attempts to be self-effacing.’
- ‘He poked fun at his own career with endearing self-deprecation.’
- ‘In a recent self-examination of what makes me laugh, one of the key ingredients I came up with is self-deprecation.’
- ‘The wry Irishman breaks into a gentle smirk, conveying the whiff of arch self-deprecation.’
- ‘He delivers certain lines with cutting self-deprecation, others with calculated softness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.