Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Preoccupied with oneself and one's affairs.‘he's far too self-centred to care what you do’
egocentric, egotistic, egotistical, egomaniacal, self-regarding, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, self-seeking, self-interested, self-serving, wrapped up in oneself, inward-looking, introverted, selfish, self-loving, narcissistic, vaininconsiderate, thoughtless, unthinking, uncaring, uncharitable, unkindlooking after number oneView synonyms
- ‘Sometimes I think it truly self-centred and self-indulgent to believe that you hold an opinion that so many people could be interested in.’
- ‘Above all, they are apt to be self-centred and self-absorbed, with little interest in their neighbours and communities.’
- ‘Citizens of rich countries may be self-centred and self-indulgent, but things are not quite as horrible as some would have us believe.’
- ‘In truth Deb is the bad friend - too self-centered and self-conscious to care about Beth.’
- ‘Above all, they're apt to be self-centred and self-absorbed, with little interest in their neighbours or communities.’
- ‘This comes from letting go again and again of self-centered thoughts and habitual storylines.’
- ‘Unfortunately, he also discovers that she's about as self-centered and egotistical as someone can be.’
- ‘These are obviously self-centred and cold-hearted individuals who care only for their well-being and betterment.’
- ‘It's basically a self-centred group, whose members always thought and talked about themselves.’
- ‘They care about nothing but themselves and their self-centered ideology.’
- ‘They both present themselves as selfish, self-centered individuals and they deserve one another.’
- ‘I'm selfish and self-centered, and I don't seem to have any control over it.’
- ‘In the long run, though, such self-centered thinking does not serve anybody.’
- ‘Needless to say Bruce, being the selfish, self-centered person he is, abuses his newfound power to his own advantage.’
- ‘Normal polite, generous people seem to turn into very selfish, self-centred individuals once they light up a cigarette.’
- ‘If it does come, it would be triggered by the naked greed of a nation that is selfish and self-centred to the point of gross stupidity.’
- ‘Few people can stand constant praise without becoming vain and self-centered.’
- ‘However, you certainly have no problem exercising your right to be self-centered and ignorant to world affairs.’
- ‘Being self-centered and being selfish are not the same thing.’
- ‘It's self-centred, self-interested pleading at its worst.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.