Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The reflection of elastic waves at boundaries between different rock formations, especially as a technique for prospecting or research.
- ‘Bransfield Strait is presently undergoing extension based on high heat flow, active volcanoes and seismic reflection work.’
- ‘In contrast, the overwhelmingly clastic Palaeozoic section is largely unreflective and seismic reflection interpretation of Palaeozoic horizons is highly speculative in many areas.’
- ‘The upcoming experiment will be conducted using both seismic reflection and refraction techniques to probe deep within the subduction zone.’
- ‘It is commonly displayed in seismic reflection data as a low-frequency, high-amplitude double reflection.’
- ‘The simplest and most prevalent stratigraphic sections consist of images of impedance contrasts detected by seismic reflection.’
- ‘The geometrical relationships within and between depositional sequences are observable from geophysical data, particularly seismic reflection profiles, which represent an acoustic image through a rock sequence.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.