One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The reflection of elastic waves at boundaries between different rock formations, especially as a technique for prospecting or research.
- ‘The upcoming experiment will be conducted using both seismic reflection and refraction techniques to probe deep within the subduction zone.’
- ‘The simplest and most prevalent stratigraphic sections consist of images of impedance contrasts detected by seismic reflection.’
- ‘It is commonly displayed in seismic reflection data as a low-frequency, high-amplitude double reflection.’
- ‘Bransfield Strait is presently undergoing extension based on high heat flow, active volcanoes and seismic reflection work.’
- ‘The geometrical relationships within and between depositional sequences are observable from geophysical data, particularly seismic reflection profiles, which represent an acoustic image through a rock sequence.’
- ‘In contrast, the overwhelmingly clastic Palaeozoic section is largely unreflective and seismic reflection interpretation of Palaeozoic horizons is highly speculative in many areas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.