One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Consisting of or divided into segments.
- ‘Weathered specimens can also break along the segmental boundaries and expose additional structures, the so-called segmental diaphragms.’
- ‘Given the debate about the segmental composition of the thorax, it is interesting to note that there is no evidence in the earliest millipedes known that the thorax was diplopodocus.’
- ‘As we have previously demonstrated, segmental allergen exposure induces a vigorous inflammatory response in the asthmatic airway.’
- ‘Others are segments of approximately equal size, a small population, foreign threats, countrywide loyalties that counteract segmental loyalties, and pre-existing traditions of consensus.’
- ‘This early phase of expression in proliferating segmental precursors may impart basic positional information which the expressing cell ‘remembers’ during later morphogenesis.’
- ‘Some aspects of the segmental pattern are rescued, with more naked cuticle separating the denticle belts.’
- ‘We evaluated the tracheal wall, whereas previous reports used bifurcation specimens from lobar or segmental bronchi.’
- ‘In the evolution of vertebrates, long bodies with continuously flexible notochords and segmental muscles existed before the appearance of segmental vertebrae.’
- ‘Although the presence of such duplications has been suggested previously, this is the first substantial evidence of a segmental duplication that post-dates the evolution of the Brassica and Arabidopsis lineages.’
- 1.1Phonetics Denoting or relating to the division of speech into segments.
Having the form of an arch of which the curved part forms a shallow arc of a circle, less than a semicircle.
- ‘The bridge spans the river with a 15 m segmental arch and a tall overhead arch was built at the eastern end of the bridge with smaller arches on the sides for pedestrians.’
- ‘The deck is being constructed with curving precast segmental elements, cast on-site, that add to the attractiveness of the project.’
- ‘The molded brick water table jogs over basement windows with segmental arches.’
- ‘Notable features are the parapet above the third-floor cornice and the segmental window frames.’
- ‘Missing from the Georgian facade are the earlier vernacular features of glazed headers, segmental arch windows, and a belt course.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.