Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A person of supposed supernatural insight who sees visions of the future.with clause ‘a seer had foretold that the earl would assume the throne’
prophet, prophetess, sibyl, augur, soothsayer, wise man, wise woman, sage, oracle, prognosticator, prophesier, forecaster of the future, diviner, fortune teller, crystal gazer, clairvoyant, psychic, spiritualist, mediumView synonyms
- ‘This special form of astrology, we're told, was written by saints and seers thousands of years ago.’
- ‘This mental domicile was furnished with a potpourri of notions derived directly or indirectly from a long succession of philosophers, sages, and seers East and West.’
- ‘On the other hand, the gathering of seers and sages, prophets and priests, conjurors and con men, was a strategic assemblage of those who wielded some degree of power.’
- ‘Although a date had not been set, preparations were under way and an organising committee consisting of chiefs, traditional healers, spiritual leaders, seers and church leaders had already been formed.’
- ‘That light was pre-existent, but at that moment the awakened seers received the vision to see light.’
- ‘Similarly, the great sages and seers, prophets and avatars also are sources for determining beneficial karma.’
- ‘Over the years, our sages and seers have tried to teach us that when we want to change to world, we must first change ourselves, in a world where geographical boundaries are fast disappearing.’
- ‘Tarot cards, fortune tellers, seers and old and very powerful creatures have a limited ability to view fragmented pieces of the future.’
- ‘Traditionally, these areas would be the domain of the ‘witch doctor’ or seer, wizard, shaman, wise man/woman, whatever they may be called.’
- ‘In Rome, there were no prophecies emanating from divinely inspired seers who could look far into the future or deep into the past.’
- ‘Believers have declared that this is a prophecy of the Great Fire of London, which is also said to have been foretold by Nostradamus and other seers.’
- ‘Priests, seers and prophets, witches and medicine men were in a strong position to inaugurate their own system of extraction.’
- ‘During this period the sages and seers took to the practice of retiring into the forests to contemplate ‘the cream of all and what takes place’.’
- ‘If it does, I am a seer and a visionary and demand credit.’
- ‘She represented herself as a seer and used fortune-telling techniques such as palmistry.’
- ‘The dreamer, the visionary seer, not only sees, but does something, makes something.’
- ‘Throughout history, people have consulted a variety of seers in an effort to be forewarned of events to come.’
- ‘Instead of working them out at the personal friendship level, they hide behind their status as a seer in the Pagan community.’
- ‘They are our ministers and priests, spiritualists and seers, charged with leading the flock to higher ground.’
- ‘Rather than assuming that people give off auras or energy fields that can only be detected by rigged cameras or trained seers, we need only assume that the phenomenon of synaesthesia is taking place.’
- 1.1 An expert who provides forecasts of the economic or political future.‘our seers have grown gloomier about prospects for growth’
- ‘While your disciples are journalists and blaspheming healers mine are seers and political strategists.’
- ‘Looking back on his comments a little more than a year later, it is hard to give the former governor high marks as an economic seer.’
2archaic usually in combination A person who sees something specified.‘a seer of the future’‘ghost-seers’
Middle English: from see + -er.
(in South Asia) a varying unit of weight (about one kilogram) or liquid measure (about one litre).
From Hindi ser.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.