Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] The slow escape of a liquid or gas through porous material or small holes.‘the National Rivers Authority was called on to prevent further seepage’
oozing, seeping, trickle, trickling, drip, dribble, flow, issuance, discharge, excretion, escape, leak, leakage, drainage, bleeding, sweating, welling, leaching, filtration, percolation, secretionextravasationtransudation, exudationView synonyms
- ‘Fluid seepage has been found to associate with many types of geologic hazards.’
- ‘Install plastic sheeting (vapor barrier) under carpeting to prevent moisture seepage.’
- ‘It consists of mineral salts from the soil or from the concrete itself and is the result of slow moisture seepage through the pavement.’
- ‘Fix leaks and seepage that you find as soon as possible.’
- ‘Water losses are through evaporation to the atmosphere and minimal leakage or seepage.’
- ‘To help prevent leaks, moisture seepage and decay problems, check your roof for weak areas.’
- ‘To prevent seepage, you can apply weather stripping around the door or install a fire-rated door.’
- ‘If ice forms at the roof edge or at the gutter, this shield can prevent seepage back into the framing.’
- ‘Heavy soils are needed to prevent seepage from earthen structures.’
- ‘What we want to do is to trap the water by putting borders of rock to slow down the water flow and encourage seepage.’
- ‘In cases of excessive water seepage, a second coat may be needed.’
- ‘There are flood advisories for areas in the province and warnings about water seepage into basements.’
- ‘Are there signs of leaks or seepage in the basement?’
- ‘When the river is in flood seepage is occurring at several locations.’
- ‘Joints are sealed with ultraclear silicone to prevent water seepage.’
- ‘If the coating is too thin, it will not stop moisture seepage.’
- ‘The agency had warned that unless seepage through flood walls was prevented, emergency sandbagging would be needed during flood events.’
- ‘However, a spokesperson for the hospital's oncology unit said no seepage occurred.’
- ‘Holding ponds must be sealed to prevent seepage into ground water.’
- 1.1The quantity of liquid or gas that seeps out.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.