Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Because; since.‘seeing that I'm awake, I might as well come with you’
- ‘Actually that's a tough one, seeing as I like all the nominated albums.’
- ‘The second track, Powerless, is surely a song we have all heard, seeing as it's the first single off her album.’
- ‘The two end up marrying other mates, though why is never fully explained seeing as they're clearly obsessed with one another.’
- ‘It is only natural especially seeing as Argentina was kind enough to accept as many Irish people as possible in the 19th century.’
- ‘Also, communism seemed the chic thing to explore, seeing as I was a disillusioned young university student.’
- ‘Now is such a great time to go home, seeing as I don't ‘do’ football.’
- ‘He probably feels like he needs to help you, seeing as London is full of crazed taxi drivers.’
- ‘The only thing wrong with it is that the songs are a bit samey, but seeing as the album is less than 40 minutes long, this doesn't bother me much.’
- ‘We got 16 out of 20 which I thought was pretty good seeing as I only knew 7 or 8 of them and hadn't heard of any of the rest!’
- ‘He hardly could, seeing as the stickers can be ordered for free through the party's official website’
- ‘You may want to have a strong cup of coffee before going, seeing as this party is slated to run until 8 a.m.’
- ‘Perhaps, he suggested, we should be beyond that, seeing as the situation is so new, complex and unprecedented.’
- ‘It's refreshing also to see Posey grab hold of a role like this, seeing as she hasn't had anything substantive to sink her talents into of late.’
- ‘My brain has apparently simply up and died on me, seeing as how I am sitting here without any typing going on, just staring at a blank screen.’
- ‘It would be a little ironic if it was, seeing as the movie is constructed as a series of episodes along the route to the perfect noodle restaurant.’
- ‘Home I went seeing as I didn't have my water wings with me.’
- ‘Well, seeing as how no-one was queueing up to write my blog while I wasn't, I suppose I'd best get back to writing it myself.’
- ‘Some women will take offence to such a frivolous comment, especially seeing as most of us view this as a serious topic of conversation.’
- ‘What is the helping agent's toxicity, seeing as it is not licensed in the US?’
- ‘I can refer to you by whatever offensive terminology I like without defaming you, seeing as you're a person of public interest.’
1The action of seeing someone or something.
- ‘Then the audience takes note of what that means, the act of seeing.’
- 1.1Astronomy The quality of observed images as determined by atmospheric conditions.‘he had given the seeing as ‘fair’’
seeing is believing
proverb You need to see something before you can accept that it really exists or occurs.
- ‘If seeing is believing, the army's video of the event might have settled the debate.’
- ‘I guess it sort of means that seeing is believing and this is the safest option for a lot of people who don't quite ‘get’ faith.’
- ‘If seeing is believing, this one sure did prove the line right.’
- ‘If seeing is believing, the genuine road user today has to be content with very little space on city roads.’
- ‘I've seen the newspaper story and photo and seeing is believing.’
- ‘We want them to see because we're foolish enough to think that seeing is believing.’
- ‘Well, seeing is believing and one only hopes it will be worth the wait.’
- ‘There were some people who had given up on it, but now seeing is believing.’
- ‘There would be two possible criticisms of someone who claims that (for example) seeing is believing.’
- ‘If seeing is believing, we give you a sample of the buffet spread on Friday night.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.