Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A young plant, especially one raised from seed and not from a cutting.
- ‘Similarly, it is always best to use new potting compost when sowing seeds or transplanting seedlings.’
- ‘Any seedling or plant two to eight inches tall can be successfully transplanted.’
- ‘A few attempts were made to plant seedlings in the early years but these failed.’
- ‘Browsing is an important mortality factor in seedlings and small plants.’
- ‘In addition, winter annuals can usually be vernalized either as seeds or as seedlings.’
- ‘Seeds were germinated and seedlings were hydroponically grown as previously described.’
- ‘Men prepare the land for planting and sow seeds, and women transplant rice seedlings.’
- ‘Leaves with the whole sheath attached were detached from the plant seedlings.’
- ‘If the rains are too hard, young plants and seedlings can be washed away.’
- ‘Therefore, it is believed that seeds or young seedlings may be less stress tolerant than adults.’
- ‘Their degradation happens only after a long period of rest when seeds germinate and seedlings start to grow.’
- ‘Foresters plant seedlings that were grown in the nursery for a complete growing year.’
- ‘The farmers who needed the water decided to plant seedlings on the slopes above the spring.’
- ‘As well as that he has other papaya seedlings ready to plant out when the others are finished.’
- ‘Older plants exposed to cold stress showed damage quicker than the young seedlings.’
- ‘In a second experiment, intact seedlings were raised and treated as described above.’
- ‘Hot life seedlings are planted approximately two days after they leave the nursery.’
- ‘I wanted to plant out my lettuce seedlings, since they were too large to continue indoors.’
- ‘Low activity for both promoters was also observed in the early stages of seed germination and in young seedlings.’
- ‘Plant a seedling next to each stake, and as the seedlings grow, coax them up the twine.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.