Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a fruit that has no seeds.‘seedless grapes’
- ‘The fruit is seedless, bright orange in colour, less acid than other mandarins, and keeps well.’
- ‘Oranges are called seedless when they contain five seeds or less’
- ‘The very infertility of the hybrids thus propagated was cleverly used to create seedless fruits, which in and of themselves are interesting in practical pomology.’
- ‘The grape joins a series of top-quality red, white and black seedless grapes developed by this expert team.’
- ‘Good paste tomatoes are seedless, meaty, and on the dry side - qualities that also tailor them perfectly to sauces and sun-drying.’
- ‘Our consumption of seedless fruits and veggies is on the rise, trading flavor and fertility for convenience.’
- ‘Frozen seedless grapes add a festive touch and help keep drinks cold.’
- ‘My salad consisted of thin slices of tender chicken and whole, seedless red and green grapes and cherry tomatoes on a bed of salad leaves.’
- ‘Popcorn, dried figs, fresh cranberries, seedless grapes, or thick slices of a fresh orange can be strung into garlands and hung onto the higher boughs.’
- ‘Perhaps that's why seedless grapes were invented.’
- ‘The theory goes that early hunter-gatherers must have stumbled across rare mutant plants that produced seedless, edible fruit - the forefather of today's commercial varieties.’
- ‘The crisper drawer contains two apples, a bag of black seedless grapes, and a bulb of garlic.’
- ‘Take a seedless green grape and cut it almost in half, leaving the halves connected by a bit of skin.’
- ‘Strange notions take over your mind when you've only had four hours of sleep and so I picked up seedless grapes, a cucumber and a coconut.’
- ‘Since bananas are seedless, they do not rely on the germination of seeds to propagate themselves.’
- ‘Most cultivated bananas are seedless, but the memories of seeds remain as brown specks within the flesh.’
- ‘We also dipped and dried our own prunes and figs, made raisins from seedless grapes, and dried the walnut crop in the fall for winter storage.’
- ‘Cloning sheep would thus resemble the mass production of seedless oranges: genetic engineering designed to increase the pleasure and value humans get from property.’
- ‘If you like mushrooms on your pizza and red seedless grapes as a snack, you may be taking the first step to help your body ward off breast cancer.’
- ‘Both are sweet, seedless fruits borne by large, vigorous trees.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.