Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A machine for sowing seed mechanically.
- ‘Attachments such as disc plows, harrows, seeders, fertilizer spreaders and manure spreaders specially designed and sized for ATVs are available from some manufacturers and many accessory dealers.’
- ‘The Student Organic Farm uses a four-row pinpoint seeder.’
- ‘We are making a new seeder that will allow you to plant rows together in the greenhouse, so you can get maximum use out of it.’
- ‘We use a small electric seeder, but you can do it by hand.’
- ‘This winter I found a tine seeder for $160 and a five-gang pull-behind mower to use during grow-in for $150.’
- ‘When seeding into a tilled seedbed, band seeders with press wheels are an excellent choice.’
- ‘Up-front wheels can sometimes lift the seeder too far from the earth.’
- ‘Sow from August to October (the end of August is great) using an Earthway seeder or hand throw.’
- ‘Narrow-row seeders are preferred if available.’
- ‘Land Pride seeders protect falling seed by offering watertight seedbox lids, wind guards and low seed drop.’
- ‘To speed the planting pace, the family bought into a host of new technology with the seeder.’
- ‘One is the traditional pattern of planting in which the tractor-drawn seeder is driven back and forth along the field, up and down every row.’
- ‘Jethro Tull invented a horse-drawn hoe as well as a mechanical seeder which allowed seeds to be planted in orderly rows.’
- ‘This is the time of year we ‘frost seed’ those crops with a small electric spinner seeder.’
- ‘The floater or air seeder then spreads seed much faster than a drill.’
- ‘The fine straight lines radiating outward are remnants of the little furrows left by a seed drill or an air seeder.’
- ‘Herd uses tractors, combines, plows, seeders, weed cutters and fire to model images from the earth.’
- ‘All planters, drills and air seeders need to be cleaned out.’
- ‘The advent of air seeders with seed and fertilizer distribution provide another placement option.’
- ‘He seeds grass and clover with a spinner seeder mounted on an ATV.’
2A plant that produces seeds in a particular way or under particular conditions.‘it has a reputation as a free seeder’
- ‘Most scrub dominants recover by resprouting and clonal spread, while many herbaceous species are obligate seeders.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.