Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A machine for sowing seed mechanically.
- ‘To speed the planting pace, the family bought into a host of new technology with the seeder.’
- ‘Up-front wheels can sometimes lift the seeder too far from the earth.’
- ‘All planters, drills and air seeders need to be cleaned out.’
- ‘Attachments such as disc plows, harrows, seeders, fertilizer spreaders and manure spreaders specially designed and sized for ATVs are available from some manufacturers and many accessory dealers.’
- ‘This is the time of year we ‘frost seed’ those crops with a small electric spinner seeder.’
- ‘This winter I found a tine seeder for $160 and a five-gang pull-behind mower to use during grow-in for $150.’
- ‘We are making a new seeder that will allow you to plant rows together in the greenhouse, so you can get maximum use out of it.’
- ‘One is the traditional pattern of planting in which the tractor-drawn seeder is driven back and forth along the field, up and down every row.’
- ‘Land Pride seeders protect falling seed by offering watertight seedbox lids, wind guards and low seed drop.’
- ‘Sow from August to October (the end of August is great) using an Earthway seeder or hand throw.’
- ‘The floater or air seeder then spreads seed much faster than a drill.’
- ‘When seeding into a tilled seedbed, band seeders with press wheels are an excellent choice.’
- ‘We use a small electric seeder, but you can do it by hand.’
- ‘He seeds grass and clover with a spinner seeder mounted on an ATV.’
- ‘The advent of air seeders with seed and fertilizer distribution provide another placement option.’
- ‘Jethro Tull invented a horse-drawn hoe as well as a mechanical seeder which allowed seeds to be planted in orderly rows.’
- ‘The Student Organic Farm uses a four-row pinpoint seeder.’
- ‘Herd uses tractors, combines, plows, seeders, weed cutters and fire to model images from the earth.’
- ‘Narrow-row seeders are preferred if available.’
- ‘The fine straight lines radiating outward are remnants of the little furrows left by a seed drill or an air seeder.’
2A plant that produces seeds in a particular way or under particular conditions.‘it has a reputation as a free seeder’
- ‘Most scrub dominants recover by resprouting and clonal spread, while many herbaceous species are obligate seeders.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.