Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Support a person for the duration of a difficult time.
sustain, encourage, buoy up, cheer along, keep going, keep someone's head above water, tide oversupport, give strength to, be a source of strength to, be a tower of strength to, comfort, assistView synonyms
- ‘I'm glad that you have hope and an optimistic outlook because that's so important and will see you through.’
- ‘Initially, it was the support of my parents which saw me through.’
- ‘Terri showed a determination and drive from childhood that was to see her through difficult periods of her life.’
- ‘There were many times that the collective will-to-win of the supporters would see you through because they don't accept second best down there, and they're not slow to tell you if you are second best.’
- ‘I'd like to thank all of my supporters and my family who ran a great campaign; I was written off but there was great local support there and that saw me through.’
- ‘Spielberg obviously conceived this story as a fantasy in which a decent man's goodness sees him through; but even fantasies need their own internal logic.’
- ‘Last week, she agreed to share her grief with Guardian readers, and is appealing for professional help to see her through this difficult time.’
- ‘Let us hope that going beyond empty rhetoric, nations are becoming indeed united in the effort to see Iraq through its difficult transition.’
- ‘There's a lot of therapy-group talk about how love can see you through, about how things can only get better, about the fact that, if you do your best, nobody can take that away from you.’
- ‘Fortunately, my team was strong enough to see me through.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.