One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1historical An enclosed chair for conveying one person, carried between horizontal poles by two porters.
sedan chair, palanquinView synonyms
- ‘As the Viceroy was being carried in a sedan chair away from the viewing stand, a Chinese man jumped out of the crowd lining the street, lifted a pistol, fired a single shot into the Viceroy's head.’
- ‘Manservants of the Warlord dressed in bright red, the color of life, carried a scarlet sedan chair draped in crimson silk and embroidered with designs of phoenixes.’
- ‘Then, clad richly in gold from head to toe, the leader appeared at the top of the wall escorted by several servants who were carrying him in a sedan chair.’
- ‘And it was transported around the countryside by two peasants, like a sedan chair.’
- ‘It's said that long ago an Immortal found out that a devil had followed the wedding parade of a bride who was being carried in a sedan chair.’
2North American A car for four or more people.
- ‘Ford is considering adopting the 300-volt system for other vehicles in its line-up, including larger SUVs and sedans.’
- ‘Is a four-door family sedan the same as a pick-up truck?’
- ‘On the other hand, members of the Leone family drive pristine, sporty black sedans.’
- ‘Can a compact car be endowed with the allure of a sporty luxury sedan?’
- ‘The car has been described as the world's best four-door sports sedan.’
- ‘Just as it pulled away, a black sedan pulled up, Melanie's sister sitting at the wheel.’
- ‘The 2003 model year is when Mercedes is expected to introduce a redesigned E-Class sedan.’
- ‘From behind the driver's seat, you'd think you were in a luxury sport sedan.’
- ‘Pacifica's high belt-line offers a feeling of security on the inside that you don't get from most sedans or SUVs.’
- ‘Should race cars then be illegal because people may drive their ordinary sedan at a high speed around corners?’
- ‘Not quite a sedan or SUV, today's station wagons are stylish, functional and fast.’
- ‘Probably adds between 50 to 60 cents filling up a large family sedan.’
- ‘Are you looking for a sports car, or do you have children and need a sedan, minivan or SUV?’
- ‘I was about to protest when a red sedan pulled up to the sidewalk.’
- ‘Most of the Toyota Camry cars are sedans but the Camry was also sold as a station wagon.’
- ‘Around half an hour later the suspect in a blue sedan pulled out of the driveway.’
- ‘Many have drivetrains taken from sport sedans, with suspensions to match.’
- ‘The Avalon was introduced as the Toyota flagship sedan for model year '95.’
- ‘Two days after the Clarks bought the midsize sedan, Lori Clark had a fender bender.’
- ‘Which could spell trouble for Toyota and Honda, who sell their compact sedans based largely on quality and reliability.’
Perhaps an alteration of an Italian dialect word, based on Latin sella ‘saddle’, from sedere ‘sit’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.