One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A verification of the identity and trustworthiness of an employee in order to maintain security.‘some 400,000 security checks were run on Manhattan Project employees’
- ‘The security check for entering the visa section was strict.’
- ‘Tim Verheyden said he was able to bring a package resembling a bomb through the security check for airport employees.’
- ‘A basic security check later, we found ourselves inside the DMZ.’
- ‘Security at the court was tight with hand-held metal detectors, and a second security check inside the building.’
- ‘Newly released video show some of the hijackers going through a security check at Dulles Airport outside Washington.’
- 1.1 A search of an area or of a person and their baggage for concealed weapons or explosives.‘a standard security check uncovered a loaded .22-cal. revolver in his carry-on bag’
- ‘They've agreed to hire an international expert to conduct a new security check of Australia's international air gateways.’
- ‘Today, going through an airport security check can be as entertaining as watching, or even acting in, an episode of Seinfeld.’
- ‘I directly got on board the plane after the security check.’
- ‘We are satisfied with the results of the security check and will not be closing again unless there is a specific threat.’
- ‘They should be coming round on a regular basis and doing a security check to look at if anything could be done.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.