Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Liberalism, with regard in particular to the belief that religion should not be taught or practised within a publicly funded education system.
- ‘They are struggles over two world views: biblical Christianity vs. secular humanism.’
- ‘It was an attack on, and misrepresentation of, secular humanism.’
- ‘Not doing so only submits to the agenda driven propaganda of secular humanism, which effectively is a religion in itself.’
- ‘He is posing the ultimate challenge to secular humanism.’
- ‘It also sees ‘Christian’ teachers and lecturers happy to teach a curriculum soaked in secular humanism.’
- ‘The Christian Right are critical of secular humanism and liberal tolerance in religious matters.’
- ‘Her quest for the big answer leads her to accept Confucianism and nonreligious Buddhism as well as secular humanism.’
- ‘The parents accused the Holt series of teaching secular humanism and violating their religious beliefs.’
- ‘To abdicate my will to anyone, even or especially God, is the ultimate heresy in the religion of secular humanism.’
- ‘Second, secular humanism promotes the belief that, while religion is to be respected, we are fast growing out of it.’
- ‘It was a religious speech from a religion known as secular humanism, which she follows.’
- ‘After their devastating critique of secular humanism comes the cavalry - the absolutes of historic, biblical Christianity.’
- ‘But the increasing secular humanism in our culture seemed to be moving at a gallop pace.’
- ‘They are actually advancing the non-theistic religion of secular humanism.’
- ‘This return of religion threatens secular humanism, the orthodoxy that has prevailed since the French Revolution.’
- ‘I denounce secular humanism and all other left-wing materialist ideologies.’
- ‘It never occurred to those early exiles that they should rant about the ubiquity of secular humanism.’
- ‘Do you mean expressions of liberal secular humanism?’
- ‘Member Samantha Munn describes the core values at the heart of secular humanism as ‘respect, tolerance and logic.’’
- ‘Let us refuse secular religion and State because secular humanism is the tool of the devil in the world.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.