One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a secret way; without others knowing.‘the two were secretly married in 1751’‘I was embarrassed, but secretly pleased too’
covertly, without anyone knowing, in secret, in private, privately, in confidence, confidentially, behind closed doors, behind the scenes, behind someone's back, under cover, under the counter, discreetly, unobserved, quietly, furtively, stealthily, on the sly, on the quiet, privily, conspiratorially, clandestinely, on the sideprivately, in one's heart, in one's heart of hearts, in one's innermost thoughtsView synonyms
- ‘They had booked a table at a restaurant for dinner and Mr Mears had secretly made plans to propose to her that evening.’
- ‘We love poker, says Alvarez, because we are all secretly in love with America.’
- ‘His remains were secretly buried, so that they would not become a place of worship.’
- ‘They marked their special day with a family celebration, planned secretly by their children.’
- ‘Villeneuve says union agents secretly staying at the hotel told him of the practice.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.