One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hormone released into the bloodstream by the duodenum (especially in response to acidity) to stimulate secretion by the liver and pancreas.
- ‘The hormone secretin has been tried as a treatment for autism.’
- ‘The duodenum is important in the secretion of a number of hormones, including secretin, cholecystokinin, and enteroglucagon.’
- ‘One such intervention involves the intravenous injection of secretin, a gastrointestinal polypeptide.’
- ‘Researchers from Philadelphia gave a single intravenous dose of secretin versus placebo in 61 children with autistic spectrum disorder.’
- ‘Several months later we learned about gluten- and casein-free diets, secretin, and intravenous immunoglobulin therapy.’
Early 20th century: from secretion + -in.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.