Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A title given to the principal administrator of some organizations.
- ‘At each hearing the Secretary General of the ICA chooses a panel that must consist of a minimum of three Judges.’
- ‘The recommendations from the UN's Commission of Experts are now being considered by the Secretary General.’
- ‘We're also hearing of some high-profile meetings, one between the Secretary General and Iraq's foreign minister.’
- ‘However, the Secretary General noted that ‘a welcome change is taking place on national and international levels.’’
- ‘Here is a Statement by Gilles Munier, the Secretary General of the French-Iraq Friendship Organisation.’
- ‘The Secretary General said the organisation has support structures for local organisations and individuals interested in all aspects of human rights.’
- ‘He then joined African, Carribean and Pacific Group of States as the first Secretary General from Zambia.’
- ‘UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, Prince Charles and the Scottish Fishermen's Federation are among the 15,000 signatories.’
- ‘The Secretary General has reminded us of the commitment made by our leaders during the Millennium Summit last year to eradicate this scourge.’
- ‘But inside the office of the Secretary General, no such certainty exists.’
- ‘There has never been an American Secretary General, and, considering our place in the world, don't you think it's about time?’
- ‘In 1938, he became a reader of English books for Gallimard; in 1941, he became their Secretary General.’
- ‘Who is the Secretary General of the United Nations?’
- ‘Up to five billion dispossessed and poor saw little or nothing of their wealth, said the Secretary General.’
- ‘The Secretary General of the United Nations had called for an emergency United Nations Security Council caucus due to the blackout.’
- ‘In January 1996 he was appointed commissioner of the Inter national Police Task Force by the Secretary General of the UN.’
- ‘But we believe and the Secretary General has said this that if the U.S. and others cooperate, the inspectors can conclude their job.’
- ‘Requests the Secretary General to report to the Council within twenty-four hours on the implementation of this resolution.’
- ‘Desai was the Secretary General of the World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg last year.’
- ‘The women hope to meet with the Secretary General.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.