Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A title given to the principal administrator of some organizations.
- ‘The Secretary General of the United Nations had called for an emergency United Nations Security Council caucus due to the blackout.’
- ‘However, the Secretary General noted that ‘a welcome change is taking place on national and international levels.’’
- ‘The women hope to meet with the Secretary General.’
- ‘The Secretary General has reminded us of the commitment made by our leaders during the Millennium Summit last year to eradicate this scourge.’
- ‘He then joined African, Carribean and Pacific Group of States as the first Secretary General from Zambia.’
- ‘In January 1996 he was appointed commissioner of the Inter national Police Task Force by the Secretary General of the UN.’
- ‘At each hearing the Secretary General of the ICA chooses a panel that must consist of a minimum of three Judges.’
- ‘There has never been an American Secretary General, and, considering our place in the world, don't you think it's about time?’
- ‘Who is the Secretary General of the United Nations?’
- ‘The recommendations from the UN's Commission of Experts are now being considered by the Secretary General.’
- ‘But we believe and the Secretary General has said this that if the U.S. and others cooperate, the inspectors can conclude their job.’
- ‘Desai was the Secretary General of the World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg last year.’
- ‘We're also hearing of some high-profile meetings, one between the Secretary General and Iraq's foreign minister.’
- ‘The Secretary General said the organisation has support structures for local organisations and individuals interested in all aspects of human rights.’
- ‘Up to five billion dispossessed and poor saw little or nothing of their wealth, said the Secretary General.’
- ‘But inside the office of the Secretary General, no such certainty exists.’
- ‘UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, Prince Charles and the Scottish Fishermen's Federation are among the 15,000 signatories.’
- ‘Here is a Statement by Gilles Munier, the Secretary General of the French-Iraq Friendship Organisation.’
- ‘Requests the Secretary General to report to the Council within twenty-four hours on the implementation of this resolution.’
- ‘In 1938, he became a reader of English books for Gallimard; in 1941, he became their Secretary General.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.