One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A title given to the principal administrator of some organizations.
- ‘Desai was the Secretary General of the World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg last year.’
- ‘But we believe and the Secretary General has said this that if the U.S. and others cooperate, the inspectors can conclude their job.’
- ‘Here is a Statement by Gilles Munier, the Secretary General of the French-Iraq Friendship Organisation.’
- ‘We're also hearing of some high-profile meetings, one between the Secretary General and Iraq's foreign minister.’
- ‘Requests the Secretary General to report to the Council within twenty-four hours on the implementation of this resolution.’
- ‘The Secretary General said the organisation has support structures for local organisations and individuals interested in all aspects of human rights.’
- ‘However, the Secretary General noted that ‘a welcome change is taking place on national and international levels.’’
- ‘Who is the Secretary General of the United Nations?’
- ‘The Secretary General has reminded us of the commitment made by our leaders during the Millennium Summit last year to eradicate this scourge.’
- ‘The Secretary General of the United Nations had called for an emergency United Nations Security Council caucus due to the blackout.’
- ‘In 1938, he became a reader of English books for Gallimard; in 1941, he became their Secretary General.’
- ‘But inside the office of the Secretary General, no such certainty exists.’
- ‘He then joined African, Carribean and Pacific Group of States as the first Secretary General from Zambia.’
- ‘Up to five billion dispossessed and poor saw little or nothing of their wealth, said the Secretary General.’
- ‘The recommendations from the UN's Commission of Experts are now being considered by the Secretary General.’
- ‘The women hope to meet with the Secretary General.’
- ‘UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, Prince Charles and the Scottish Fishermen's Federation are among the 15,000 signatories.’
- ‘There has never been an American Secretary General, and, considering our place in the world, don't you think it's about time?’
- ‘In January 1996 he was appointed commissioner of the Inter national Police Task Force by the Secretary General of the UN.’
- ‘At each hearing the Secretary General of the ICA chooses a panel that must consist of a minimum of three Judges.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.