One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small writing desk; an escritoire.
table, work surface, bureau, writing desk, writing table, roll-top desk, lecternView synonyms
- ‘The initial dismantling of the secretaire was extremely difficult and revealed much about its technical construction and Riesener's workshop practices.’
- ‘One of the finest pieces of French royal furniture in the Wallace Collection is the secretaire made for Queen Marie-Antoinette in 1780.’
- ‘For her, that primary piece is a faux-painted Swedish secretaire, where she keeps stationery, including her own handmade cards.’
- ‘This project has provided an insight into the history and construction of the secretaire and the working practices of a top eighteenth-century craftsman.’
- ‘The secretaire was still in the cabinet interieur at the beginning of the French Revolution, in 1789.’
Late 18th century: from French secrétaire, literally ‘secretary’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.