One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organization whose members are sworn to secrecy about its activities.
- ‘In central Africa they signal the attainment of rank by the community's elders and by initiated members of secret societies.’
- ‘Do all the books questioning the activities of secret societies published in recent years not give some justification for the register?’
- ‘It is not a secret society, as all members are free to acknowledge their membership and will do so in response to inquiries for respectable reasons.’
- ‘In 1868 Bakunin founded a front organization for his secret society, the Alliance of Social Democracy, in Geneva.’
- ‘He had crossed the Ogboni, a secret society whose members include many in power.’
- ‘According to the report, members of the secret societies and organizations expressed their opposition to Lien's visit to China.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.