A ballot in which votes are cast in secret.
- ‘Voters cast a secret ballot, and any assessment of who voted or for whom they voted is riddled with difficulty.’
- ‘The players association should call a secret ballot vote this weekend.’
- ‘Many MPs are refusing to say whom they will vote for in the secret ballot.’
- ‘This follows a 90 percent strike vote in a secret ballot, in which college management were also allowed to participate!’
- ‘According to McCarthy, because voting involves a secret ballot it is impossible to prove that electronic voting is safe.’
- ‘Fifty Labour councillors last night held a secret ballot and voted to end his 15-year hold on power.’