Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for passive smoking
- ‘Ok it has been proven that smoking is bad for the health and that secondary smoking can cause cancer.’
- ‘Having first-hand experience of living with a smoker for 20 years, I know to my cost just how damaging secondary smoking can be.’
- ‘We are trying to protect people's health from secondary smoking.’
- ‘However, there is considerable evidence suggesting that secondary smoking damages people's health.’
- ‘In Scotland we don't appear to have specific rulings in relation to secondary smoking and until we get them it will be difficult to form a view.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.