One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thought process connecting the preconscious and conscious, governed by the reality principle and reflecting the decision-making and problem-solving activity of the ego.
- ‘The oceanic feeling associated with primary process and pleasure principle experience must ultimately give way to the reality of Time bounded experience and the secondary process.’
- ‘Because the girl's sexual desires were activated by her affective needs, sexuality itself became a secondary process, compensatory and vitally less important.’
- ‘Freud made a sharp distinction between two varieties of mental functioning which he called primary process and secondary process.’
- ‘On the other hand, if the immigrant or refugee has ‘depressive guilt,’ ‘time is formed in accordance with the laws of the secondary process (conscious).’’
- ‘A procreative analogy in all this was recognised by Marion Milner, who said that our primary and secondary processes need each other ‘like man and woman need each other.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.