One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Picketing by strikers of the premises of a firm that trades with their employer but is not otherwise involved in the dispute in question.
demonstration, picket line, blockade, boycottView synonyms
- ‘The 450 delegates passed a number of motions on recognition and calling for an easing of restrictions on secondary picketing.’
- ‘Under the 1990 Industrial Relations Act, certain forms of secondary picketing are allowed.’
- ‘The lack of effectiveness of this group was illustrated in 1959 when it failed to prevent a Federal law that outlawed secondary picketing.’
- ‘It is expected this ruling will be used to strike down provincial laws that do regulate secondary picketing, including British Columbia's.’
- ‘Coal had been stockpiled, secondary picketing restricted and police had received special riot training.’
- ‘Ministers will face demands from the trade unions to legalise secondary picketing following the recent dispute over British Airways catering.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.